[mythtv-users] reconciling database and recorded files

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 4 19:53:44 UTC 2008

On 09/04/2008 03:03 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> On Thursday 04 September 2008 11:49, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> If you're still really motivated, perhaps you could re-re-do those
>> scripts.  Both myth.rebuilddatabase.pl and myth.find_orphans.pl are old,
>> semi-maintained hacks that need to be ported to use the MythTV perl
>> bindings.  Your rewriting them to use the bindings and cleaning them up
>> (and, IMHO, combining them into a single script) would be very useful to
>> the project.  And, since you seem to know Perl... :)
>>
>> If you are interested and you have questions, I'd be happy to provide
>> some pointers/recommendations.
>>
> I am interested. Won't promise anything because this is on hobby time, but I
> will nose around this evening. I do agree those scripts need to be collected
> into a single tool, and I have used some of them as inspiration for a few of
> my own tools. I am still using Myth 0.20 though - that upgrade is on the way,
> working around football season (and updating to Fedora 9). Have there been
> any significant changes in the 0.21 scripts?

Not so much in the scripts themselves (other than adding
half-a^H^H^H^H^H^Hpartial support for storage groups), but in the Perl
bindings there have been quite a few changes.  If you do want to work on
porting the scripts to use the bindings, you should really work on
0.21-fixes.  Going from their to trunk would be relatively easy, but
going from 0.20-fixes to trunk would be quite a challenge (basically,
updating them to use 0.20-fixes perl bindings would be a waste because
you'd pretty much have to start over to get it into trunk).

And, thanks in advance for any work you do toward conversion (after you
sucessfully upgrade to 0.21 :).  And, good luck with those two new projects.

Mike (the guy who hates those scripts more than anyone else)