[mythtv-users] reconciling database and recorded files

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Sep 4 19:03:42 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008 11:49, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/04/2008 05:59 AM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 September 2008 20:50, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> >> Then this got me wondering about the subject of this message. Is there
> >> any tool that would reconcile database entries vs recorded files
> >> (probably including the PNG thumbnails)? Maybe someone has a handy SQL
> >> query snippet or pointer to such to get me started?
> >
> > Before anyone takes the time to reply,
>
> heh.  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/348043#348043
>
> >  I have answered my own question, and
> > wrote a Perl script to give me a little report on all the 'recorded'
> > records in the db, files with no record, records with no file, and
> > thumbnails with no record. It's not fancy, but it answered part of my
> > question.
>
> So, basically, instead of reading Brad's response, you were busy
> rewriting the functionality provided by the two scripts to which he
> referred you.  ;)

No, actually I never saw his response, and I don't know why - I did watch for
replies throughout the evening but it wasn't until this morning that I had
any. :( So I'm glad you pointed it out again for me. This would be a great
intro to the bindings, and now that I've had a litle taste I will look at
them. Now that I have a big (for me) drive and spent some time with the piles
of recordings I had to amalgamate I have some administration itches I'd like
to scratch.

> If you're still really motivated, perhaps you could re-re-do those
> scripts.  Both myth.rebuilddatabase.pl and myth.find_orphans.pl are old,
> semi-maintained hacks that need to be ported to use the MythTV perl
> bindings.  Your rewriting them to use the bindings and cleaning them up
> (and, IMHO, combining them into a single script) would be very useful to
> the project.  And, since you seem to know Perl... :)
>
> If you are interested and you have questions, I'd be happy to provide
> some pointers/recommendations.

I am interested. Won't promise anything because this is on hobby time, but I
will nose around this evening. I do agree those scripts need to be collected
into a single tool, and I have used some of them as inspiration for a few of
my own tools. I am still using Myth 0.20 though - that upgrade is on the way,
working around football season (and updating to Fedora 9). Have there been
any significant changes in the 0.21 scripts?