[mythtv-users] Questions about multiple frontends in household

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 05:31:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:

> Few questions about running multiple frontends and wired/wireless.
>
> I currently run my backend off a server in the basement and my frontend is
> my computer LCD monitor in a room upstairs, all works fine. Now if I have an
> actual TV in another room upstairs, how exactly would I turn it into a
> frontend? My limited knowledge has me guessing an S-Video connection to the
> backend in the basement? But that doesn't sound right (do they even make
> s-video cables that would be long enough?). How exactly is this done? And
> I'm talking analog cable TV, and a regular ol' TV no bigger than 30".
>
> Also, if I wanted to get the frontend going on a laptop upstairs, what's
> the experience with wireless? Of course ours would be a private home network
> with the laptop being the only wireless connection. Surely wired is
> preferrable but is wireless sufficient to allow for relatively smooth
> frontend playback (in terms of network speed/access)??
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Bob

For a long run to the TV, you can use high quality coax like RG6U.  For
Composite, use one, for S-Video you will  have to use two and some way to
get the s-video connectors on the cable.
http://www.nextag.com/Hosa-6-S-Video-585032750/prices-html?nxtg=1e7780a240539-318C34558F824BA4
is
such an adapter.  You would also need to run the audio.  Either spdif or
analog audio can be run in the same kind of coax depending on the power of
your amplifier.  I have done it over perhaps 100 feet using a distribution
amplifier like this
http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.php?product_item_number=20020400006

I have posted details on connectors and cables before but it generated a lot
of "discussion" so you will have to look in the archives if  you are
interested.

The other thing you will need to do is hook up a remote.  It may be easier
to move the backend near the TV :)

Allen