[mythtv-users] Questions about multiple frontends in household

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Wed Sep 3 04:53:41 UTC 2008

Few questions about running multiple frontends and wired/wireless.

I currently run my backend off a server in the basement and my frontend is
my computer LCD monitor in a room upstairs, all works fine. Now if I have an
actual TV in another room upstairs, how exactly would I turn it into a
frontend? My limited knowledge has me guessing an S-Video connection to the
backend in the basement? But that doesn't sound right (do they even make
s-video cables that would be long enough?). How exactly is this done? And
I'm talking analog cable TV, and a regular ol' TV no bigger than 30".

Also, if I wanted to get the frontend going on a laptop upstairs, what's the
experience with wireless? Of course ours would be a private home network
with the laptop being the only wireless connection. Surely wired is
preferrable but is wireless sufficient to allow for relatively smooth
frontend playback (in terms of network speed/access)??

Thanks a lot,
Bob