[mythtv-users] mythbuntu backend still crashing

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Sep 2 18:14:45 UTC 2008

On Aug 31, 2008, at 12:08 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2008, at 8:48 AM, Marc Randolph wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Brad DerManouelian
>> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>>> I got frustrated with mythbackend crashing constantly on me, so I
>>> reformatted my drive, reinstalled mythbuntu from scratch, instead of
>>> reimporting my database, I started entering all my settings all over
>>> again from scratch (in case something in my database was wonky), and
>>> I'm still crashing. I can be reasonably sure it's not a hardware
>>> issue
>>> since I've run with this same hardware for a long time on F8 without
>>> any such problems. Any idea what this means?
>>>
>> Howdy Brad,
>>
>> Even if it has been stable for a while, I'd run a memory test
>> (ideally
>> overnight?).  Stranger things have happened.  If that runs without
>> problem, then perhaps there is something in how you are configuring
>> that is triggering a memory corruption (or a leak?) - in which case
>> I'd think a bug report would be in order.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>>   Marc
>

> Last night I decided to reformat and install Mythbuntu i386 instead of
> x86_64 to see how that works. If that's still a problem, I'll go back
> to Fedora. I don't want my production machine down for too much
> longer.

For posterity, I'm runnning the i386 version of Mythbuntu, imported
the database I was using on the x86_64 version (so.. same exact
settings) and I haven't seen a crash in 2 days. This, opposed to
several crashes a day, particularly when starting recordings, but not
always. Sorry I don't have the patience to look into it more and file
a bug report. Now that I have a viable work-around, I'm leaving my
system alone for a while.

-Brad