[mythtv-users] Fwd: Playback of recordings end prematurely

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 2 15:47:22 UTC 2008

On 09/02/2008 07:00 AM, Julian Cerruti wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 08/27/2008 07:12 PM, Julian Cerruti wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if someone could give me some advice on how to go about
>>> resolving this issue.
>>>
>>> For a long while (I don't know when this started, probably about a
>>> year ago) all the recordings from shows end earlier than their real
>>> length when played from the mythTV "watch recordings" page. For
>>> example, when I record a program of 30 minutes length, playback shows
>>> a duration of 23:47. I noticed that the recording is indeed longer
>>> than that, for example, by playing back the .mpg file externally using
>>> mplayer. Also, depending on how playback is configured in mythTV, it
>>> would continue playing past 23:47, only the progress counter would
>>> stop moving (it remains in 23:47 of 23:47) and also many navigation
>>> functions (FFWD, RWD) are lost. Also is commercial auto-skip.

Somehow I missed that last statement in the original post.  IME, playing
beyond the "end" of the recording should not happen in a properly
functioning Myth box.  Instead, for the issue I was talking about, the
30-minute recording whose length shows as 23:47 should just take 30:00
to play back (with the progress counter moving slightly slower than real
time--i.e. the seconds increment every 1.26 seconds).

If your system keeps playing past the displayed end time, it means you
probably have a problem with the data in your database (i.e. invalid
starttime and/or endtime values and possibly broken seektables).  The
fact that the data for every new recording is wrong seems to indicate a
time problem on your system.  If you have multiple backends, you
probably have different times on the different systems (they should
really be synchronized with ntp).  If you have only a single, you're
probably losing ticks somewhere (I think some versions of the ivtv
driver can cause this with some configurations).

I highly recommend running optimize_mythdb.pl as a first step, then
trying to figure out if anything untoward is going on with your clocks.

>>> In fact:
>>> I have a slight suspicion that in many cases, commercial flagging is
>>> not worken as well as it could because of this.
>>>
>>> A couple more details: I notice that the "end time" reported by the
>>> mythTV player is suspiciously similar for similar length recordings.
>>> Something like: 30 mins -> 23:47; 1hr -> 47:58; etc. Also, I verified
>>> the guide data is reasonably OK (this time discrepancy doesn't seem to
>>> come from there). I am currently running mythtv 0.21 from mythbuntu
>>> 8.04.1 out-of-the-box. I use a Hauppauge 500 with ivtv 1.1.0. Only
>>> unusual setting is that because of my location (Argentina) I'm using
>>> Pal-Nc and a custom-written XMLTV grabber.

And, again, I missed that important statement.  I don't think the issue
I described should happen with a PVR-x50-created recording.  If so, it
would be due to the difference between a 12- and 15-frame GOP length,
but I'd think more PAL users would have said something about the
inaccuracy.  So, if that is the issue, I'd assume your ivtv
configuration needs fixing.  (But, as an NTSC/15-frame/GOP user, I'm not
able to help with that.)

#799 and #1088 , for what it's worth.  I didn't mention them before
because most anyone who reads through them (actually most anyone would
only read a couple statements on them before they) would think they
don't apply.

But, now, I'm thinking you weren't describing the problem I thought.
Sorry for the false lead.  It's still possible that the display issue is
related to MARK_GOP_START (and a 12- vs 15-frames/GOP distinction), but
if your system continues to play beyond the "end" of the recording,
there's something more happening, too, and you can probably fix it.

Mike