[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 15:18:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 3:15 PM, J.D. <mythtv at demuth.homelinux.org> wrote:
> All people responding have good points but often seem to have differing
> goals. Let's discuss those in more depth.

<snip>
> - USB/Firewire: well, the connector limits the total throughput. Speed
> ok to run small setups (1-2 concurrent recordings, interface limits top
> speed, sometimes bandwidth needs to be shared with other USB/firewire
> devices). Good for permanent storage, very flexible in that you take it
> and plug it into another machine (take your archive along with your
> laptop?). Turn it off if you don't need it and save energy.
<snip>

J.D., and others,

I've got a 6 drive RAID5 array (for redundancy, not speed) on my main
frontend I use for long term storage. I'd like to move this to my
backend which is in the basement; and thus no concerns with noise or
heat, and will let me shut the frontend off while allowing the other
computers in the house access to this array since the backend never
turns off.
the problem of course is, the backend already has its own 6 drive
array for recordings, so I need some sort of external solution, the
only things I can find are the very expensive back plane type devices
that, while being able to hold 6-12 drives would cost more than just
building a second computer down there.

So I'm thinking I could just buy six external drive enclosures, either
USB or Firewire, and install the drives in those.

Has anyone done anything similar to this, and if so, what is your experience?
Does anyone else have any other suggestions that I may not have thought of?

Thanks!
--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!