[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Tue Sep 2 15:32:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 11:18 -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:

<snip>

> So I'm thinking I could just buy six external drive enclosures, either
> USB or Firewire, and install the drives in those.
>
> Has anyone done anything similar to this, and if so, what is your experience?
> Does anyone else have any other suggestions that I may not have thought of?
>
> Thanks!

I would caution about using USB for that many drives. I have seen some
speed degradation using two USB drives on the same system. The fastest
USB connection I have seen was a real write speed of ~20 MB/sec over USB
(vice about 40MB/sec to the internal SATA drives). With two drives I
have seen the speed decrease. Six might be way over what the USB bus can
handle.

Perhaps eSATA would be an option?