[mythtv-users] Can this be done, if yes, HOW ?

Robert Moss rob at mossko.com
Thu Oct 30 23:42:42 UTC 2008

As I understand it, you want to ssh in and play a file on your
mythbackend server, but you want to select the file via SSH instead of
the menus?

I don't think you can SSH in as mythtv, so I chose to use root, but you
should create your own user with sudo access

ssh root at ip.of.mythbackend 'su - mythtv -c "export DISPLAY=:0.0; mplayer
/path/to/file"'
DSPLAY=:0.0 means the local X connection

You can replace mplayer with the mythtv mplayer-resume.pl file also

If you are talking about playing the video on the mythbackend server and
forwarding the video over ssh/X forwarding to your local machine, then
that will not work very well: the uncompressed video feed is huge and
would saturate you connection giving you very choppy video and possibly
inaccurate colours.  You're better off sharing the directory via nfs or
smb as Brad says, or copy the file locally via SCP (scp
user at host:/directory/file /local/directory/file) and play it locally

Even if you were on local gigabit ethernet, playing a video file over
ssh/X would be awful -- SSH would be encrypting the data, your end would
be decrypting,then displaying locally at maybe a few frames per second