[mythtv-users] Video driver help [SOLVED]

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 23:42:49 UTC 2008

Harry Devine wrote:
> OK, last week I had another thread going where I was having some issues
> with my "Watch TV" playback being real jumpy.  As it turns out, based on
> someone's suggestion, it was in fact my video driver.  So I got the
> latest ATI video drivers, as my MB has an ATI Radeon X1200 series video
> controller onboard.  However, the best resolution that I can get is
> 640x400.  The myth frontend menu looks nice and Live TV plays well now,
> but if I go into the Utilities/Setup screens, the bottom is cut off.
> I'm trying to fix a sound issue in those screens and can't see part of
> them now.
>
> I should add that I currently have my Myth box hooked up to a Zenith 23"
> LCD TV because my main TV, a Samsung 46" DLP, is being repaired.  Below
> is a section of my xorg.conf file.  How do I go about getting more
> modelines and better resolutions?
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
>     Vendorname    "Plug 'n' Play"
>     Modelname    "Plug 'n' Play"
>   modeline  "640x480 at 60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
>     Gamma    1.0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier    "Default Screen"
>     Device        "Configured Video Device"
>     Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
>     Defaultdepth    24
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth    24
>         Virtual    640    480
>         Modes        "640x480 at 60"
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Thanks!
> Harry

OK, I was able to get my video driver installed properly.  I found an
unsupported Wiki article off of ATI's site concerning the linux drivers,
and on the Ubuntu 8.04 area, I found out that after I had the driver
installed, I had to run 'aticonfig --initial -f'.  After I did this and
rebooted, I now have much better resolutions, and resolutions that I'd
expect.  My setup screens all look good now, and my LiveTV looks good.
No jumpiness or still frames.

Thanks,
Harry