[mythtv-users] "Cars" dvd crashes internal DVD player to desktop

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:07:55 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Jon Boehm <boehm100 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> <snippish/>
>>> Reviving an old thread here.  Did this problem ever get solved?  I'm
>>> building a new box on Mythubuntu 8.10beta.  It sure sounds like DVD
>>> playback has problems with Still Frames.  I haven't encountered a still
>>> frame it could play thru.  I'm hoping that the myth build in Mythubuntu
>>> 8.10beta is just out of date and when the release happens the .21-fixed
>>> weekly builds will solve the problem.  Myth is my primary dvd player.
>>> Its up converting looks great on my projector.  These disks play fine
>>> under .20 with ubuntu 7.10.
>>>
>>> More on this issue:
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=957143
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/288816
>>>

>> i found that 'Cars' just wouldn't play on my MythBox.  but i'm running
>> a slightly dated version of KnoppMyth and .21.  my current
>> playground/experimental box is running MythBuntu 7.10 and i haven't
>> tried playing there.  i'll do that tonight and report back. :)
>
> My Mythbox doesn't currently have a DVD drive, so I ripped my copy of
> Cars with dvdfab on an XP machine.  Myth plays it back fine, but I
> can't promise that dvdfab didn't rip out a problematic still frame.
> I'm running 18704.

i've half tried this solution. :)  i ripped 'Cars' using Handbrake on
my MBP and tried playing it on my .20 Myth (KnoppMyth) box.  the
frontend just 'goes away'.  i'm guessing i don't have support for x264
built in on that machine.  but i haven't taken the time to digg
through the logs yet.  maybe i'll be able to do that tonight.  if i do
get the time, i'll also try playing that rip on my new MythBox running
MythBuntu 7.10 and Myth .21...

--
Andrew Close