[mythtv-users] "Cars" dvd crashes internal DVD player to desktop

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Fri Oct 24 19:23:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Jon Boehm <boehm100 at comcast.net> wrote:

>  >I'm on Mythbuntu, and it seems to be revision 17416 (whatever the
>  >latest update on mythbuntu repositories is).
>  >I rip all my dvds to ISO and play them off a fileserver.
>
>  >Up until ~6 weeks or so ago everything I threw at it played
>  >flawlessly. After one of the recent updates, though, it now crashes
>  >on almost 2/3 of dvd isos. Nothing else in the system has changed...
>
> Reviving an old thread here.  Did this problem ever get solved?  I'm
> building a new box on Mythubuntu 8.10beta.  It sure sounds like DVD
> playback has problems with Still Frames.  I haven't encountered a still
> frame it could play thru.  I'm hoping that the myth build in Mythubuntu
> 8.10beta is just out of date and when the release happens the .21-fixed
> weekly builds will solve the problem.  Myth is my primary dvd player.
> Its up converting looks great on my projector.  These disks play fine
> under .20 with ubuntu 7.10.
>
> More on this issue:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/288816

Howdy Jon (and Andrew),

I hate to dash any hopes, but the (semi-)weekly is at 18704, while
http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/mythtv-frontend says that 8.10 is
parked on 18722.  Regardless,
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/log/branches/release-0-21-fixes shows very
few changes since either of those, and no changes that would influence
DVD playback.

Looking more than 100 revisions back, there were a lot of internal DVD
player code changes before 17416, ranging all the way back to 16035,
which happens to specifically mention still frames.

There are some tickets open on dvd playback, including some that make
mention of still frames, so it may not be worth opening another one.
The best thing to do is probably to find an existing ticket that
describes your problem and attach a mythfrontend log collected with
with -v playback (verbose debug for playback).  Here are the open
tickets:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=infoneeded&status=infoneeded_new&status=new&status=started&component=mythdvd

   Marc