[mythtv-users] Installing new HVR-1600, conflict with nvidia card / PCI slot usage??

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Sun Oct 26 22:36:26 UTC 2008

I am trying to install my HVR-1600 in my Mythbox, which currently has 3 PCI
slots and 1 AGP. Here's my motherboard:
http://img.earena.co.jp/gal2/1/11012.jpg

On the very left PCI slot I have a PVR-150, then empty, empty and the black
AGP is my 7600GS.

The problem is, when I put a card (I tried the HVR and also swapped in the
PVR-150) in that slot second to the left, my nvidia card won't start X and
gives me an error of it being unable to access /dev/nvidia0, the video card.
Of course the card works fine, just won't get into X, and it's definitely
because of that PCI slot. I put the HVR into the 3rd PCI slot (very right in
pic) and X loaded just fine and dandy-- BUT then the HVR and the 7600 are
barely a millimeter apart and I fear overheating (?? valid concern?).

How can I get that damn middle PCI slot usable?? Is it some BIOS setting?

Thanks for any help
Bob