[mythtv-users] Is anyone using mythtv as a server for the new Internet capable TVs ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 14:37:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 13:20 -0300, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
> > The mythserver can serve mythtv as a html page, right ?  Usable by any
>
>  Yes and no.   The mythbackend doesn't serve up content that way,
> but the mythweb plugin is basically a webfrontend to the various
> scheduling and other abilities.  And from the Recorded programs
> screen you cuold in theory watch either the flash version or stream the
> full original video file, but to behonest I think that would be frought with
> difficuly aand frustration unless the built in browser is very good and
> the remote very usable.
>
>  And unfortunately that URL didn't mention any specifics about the network
> support or what if any codecs it can handle.
>
>  You'd be better off tryinga upnp player which itself is still not as functional.

The HP media connect device says it supports uPNP.

>  And neither the webinterface nor the myth upnp server will serve LiveTV,
> only recorded content or stuff under mythvideo.

Thank you for clarifying that.

It seems there is no good substitute for having an HTPC connected to the
TV.  There is just nothing on the market that offers anywhere near the
same level of functionality and versatility.  I knew that, but somehow I
persist in looking at all these shiny "all in one" boxes.