[mythtv-users] [mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 14:15:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/2008 05:11 PM, Johan Heikkilä wrote:
>> Interesting discussion. I avoid LiveTV in mythtv because of the following:
>>
>> - channel changes take 5 - 8 seconds between channels within the same multiplex
>> - channel changes take 8 - 12 seconds between channels in different multiplexes
>> - sometimes difficulty to tune to a channel, i.e. no lock (not
>> consistent behavior)
>>

> I avoid LiveTV (a.k.a. Waste-Your-LifeTV) in MythTV because of the
> following:
>
>  - I have better things to do with my time, like watch shows that I'm
> actually interested in watching (i.e. the ones I told Myth to record) on
> /my/ schedule or write code for Myth or--in a pinch--something that has
> nothing to do with TV
>
> Mike

My guess, based on my own experience is that someone builds (or
re-builds) a new Myth system, hops in and since nothing is recorded
yet, try out live-TV.  The channel change time really does suck, they
get fed up with it and, if they are prone to outbursts, come on here
and start ranting about it.

We who've heard it before get a bit nasty back and it escalates.

Those not prone to outbursts live with it until an overnight or
weekend or working late where their recordings get ahead of their
watching and never go back to live again (like the rest of us)--at
least until near the end of the summer repeat season when we catch up
again.

David S.
(Who did watch Live TV until the 1st weekend after he built and again
until the 1st weekend after he rebuilt his system but never goes near
it now)