[mythtv-users] DVB-S performance

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 17:05:22 UTC 2008

On 22/10/2008, Per Jørgensen <myth at pbj-design.dk> wrote:
> Hey Guys.
>
>  I've just bought an Hauppauge HVR-4000 - and installed it in my MythTV
>  Solution.
>  But ain't satified with the picture ????
>  It's not shinny clear allthough is an OK picture.
>  But there's a really difference between this pictuce and the one on my
>  Dreambox500.
>  Is there any way to tune the performance - getting a better picture.
>
>  I mean this card Runs on a P4 3.2 Hyperthread CPU - and the one in my DB
>  is a 300mhz.
>  If its the MPEG chip in the tunercard - which card gives the best
>  performance - carse in the long run I guess I'll be tired of this picture!
>  Should under all circunstances be better picture - perhaps just as good
>  as the DB500.
>  Can I tune it up some where - or should I just buy a new card instead!

If you are using a satellite feed straight into the card's DVB-S
tuner, then the card is taking the DVB-S signal and then dumping out
the decoded MPEG-2 stream directly to MythTV (or whatever application
you are using). No extra conversion is done to the picture during this
tuning stage (it's the same as using a DVB-T tuner), so it may be
MythTV's playback settings or your video driver setup which are
resulting in a poor picture.

The 'MPEG chip' I think you are referring to (the hardware MPEG-2
encoded) is only used when you are supplying the card with an analog
input signal (using either the analog tuner or the S-Video/composite
inputs), and you _can_ improve picture quality in this case by
adjusting the recording bitrate and resolution.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/