[mythtv-users] Setting up a separate server to store recordings.

Paul Kidwell tmbomber at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 17:01:58 UTC 2008

Hi Everybody,

I'm in the process of putting together a separate server to store my
recordings, pictures,
and videos on.

It uses an 8 port RocketRaid board and presently has a 2TB RAID 5 installed.
(The RAID5 is because I'm going to be using this for my photo and
video archive as well)

It's presently set up with Windows 2003 Advanced Server and seems to
be working fine.
(I've been dumping multi-gigabyte files back and forth to it across my
1000Base-T network)

I tried setting it up with various flavors of Linux with no success.
RocketRaid says their board
has linux drivers, but I failed in every attempt to get it running. RR
tech support told me I had
the wrong type hard drives. (i.e. they blew me off)

My back end presently has two PVR-500's, but I'm thinking of adding a couple HD
encoders to my network.

I have a pair of Xboxes running XBMC plus my PC serving as front ends,
(the Xboxes will be
replaced when I add HD capability)

I was wondering if I'd be running into trouble setting up my MythTV
network to use Samba
to access the storage drives on the Win2003AS machine?