[mythtv-users] Getting this working should NOT be this hard!

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 20 20:39:52 UTC 2008

James Crow wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 10:34 -0400, Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> James Crow wrote:

>>> Harry,
>>>
>>>   One small problem. The file goes in the "/etc/apt/sources.list.d"
>>> directory. Your file is in the "/etc/apt" directory.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> James

>> Ahhhhhhh!  OK, I moved it and was able to download it fine now.  It just
>> got done the build process, but I'll have to check it later when I get
>> home.  I'm at work right now connected via SSH so I can't check the
>> "Watch TV" portion from here.  Is there anything else I need to do in
>> the meantime?  I was planning on rebooting the box to make sure that the
>> modules load, etc.
>>
>> Thanks alot for the help!
>> Harry
>>

> You can do a few simple things through ssh.
> 1) modprobe the modules or restart the system.
> 2) Check for entries under /dev/dvb
> 3) You can run scan to see what channels the card is detecting.
> ex: scan /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/??? >> channels.conf
> Replace the ??? with the right frequency table for your part of the
> world.
> 4) cat channels.conf to see what channels scan detected a signal on.
>
> Cheers,
> James

I had to download dvb-utils for this, which wasn't a big deal, but when
I try to run the scan, I get:

hdevine at hdevine-desktop:~$ sudo scan
/usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-PA-Philadelphia >
/tmp/channels.conf
[sudo] password for hdevine:
scanning /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-PA-Philadelphia
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
main:2247: FATAL: failed to open '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0': 16
Device or resource busy

This was after I rebooted the box just to be sure.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Harry