[mythtv-users] Getting this working should NOT be this hard!

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Oct 20 17:17:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 10:34 -0400, Harry Devine wrote:
> James Crow wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 08:27 -0400, Harry Devine wrote:
> >

> >> Here's the new dvb-ppa.list file:
> >> hdevine at hdevine-desktop:/etc/apt$ more dvb-ppa.list
> >> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pitti/ubuntu hardy main
> >> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pitti/ubuntu hardy main
> >>

> >> Any thoughts?
> >> Harry
> >>

> > Harry,
> >
> >   One small problem. The file goes in the "/etc/apt/sources.list.d"
> > directory. Your file is in the "/etc/apt" directory.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > James

> Ahhhhhhh!  OK, I moved it and was able to download it fine now.  It just
> got done the build process, but I'll have to check it later when I get
> home.  I'm at work right now connected via SSH so I can't check the
> "Watch TV" portion from here.  Is there anything else I need to do in
> the meantime?  I was planning on rebooting the box to make sure that the
> modules load, etc.
>
> Thanks alot for the help!
> Harry

You can do a few simple things through ssh.
1) modprobe the modules or restart the system.
2) Check for entries under /dev/dvb
3) You can run scan to see what channels the card is detecting.
ex: scan /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/??? >> channels.conf
Replace the ??? with the right frequency table for your part of the
world.
4) cat channels.conf to see what channels scan detected a signal on.

Cheers,
James