[mythtv-users] Apple TV almost working. Only a slight issue remains

Michael Brancato mike at mikebrancato.com
Fri Oct 17 22:46:06 UTC 2008

Michael Brancato wrote:
> Scott D. Davilla wrote:
>>> Note that choice of theme makes a /very/ big difference in the amount of
>>> memory used by mythfrontend.  IIRC, Iulius is the "cheapest" theme.
>> And don't forget about the xorg.conf trick to get the nvidia driver
>> to not use system ram. This will free up another 64MB for system
>> usage. Search the atv-bootloader discussion group and I think there's
>> a mention in the blog.
>
> I'm using the Mythcenter theme which seems really fast.
>
> I have both settings that I've read are needed to reduce the shared
> memory to 64MB...
>
> In my xorg.conf Device section:
>      Option         "RegistryDwords" "RMDisableRenderToSystem=1"
>
> And for the nvidia module, I pass the following options:
> options nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" NVreg_Mobile=0
>
> However, I still get:
> (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce Go 7300 (G72) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
> (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 131072 kBytes
> (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.72.22.68.00
>
> The underclocking script does seem to be working with a confirmation by
> nvidia-settings.
>
> Any clue why this doesn't work for me?  I'm running driver 177.

System. Sysmem.  Makes a difference.

So I have it using 64MB now.  It made not a single bit of difference =[.
And top doesn't show Xorg or mythfrontend using any less % of RAM.

SD content with ffmpeg / XV and deinterlacing uses less than 30% memory
for myth and about 11% goes to Xorg.  90+MB free RAM.

HD content with ffmpeg / XV and no deinterlacing uses 65% memory for
myth and 46% for Xorg.  111%?  must be swapping out =p.

So I switched to the 'lulius' theme and that alone saved 23MB of RAM.
Just from Mythcenter which isn't too huge.

After all that, about 81MB are in swap vs. 120+MB earlier.

All this sounds great, but it isn't translating into performance on
screen. XvMC still sucks and ffmpeg / XV struggles with HD.

With all the tweaks, I'm just surprised nothing is making a difference.