[mythtv-users] Getting this working should NOT be this hard!

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Fri Oct 17 13:23:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 07:02 -0400, Harry Devine wrote:

> On my old system, I was running Fedora 8 x64 and had an nVidia card.  I
> had to replace the MB and processor (long story), so the board that I
> have now (an ASUS M2A-VM board
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131174) has an
> on-board ATI Radeon XPress 1250 chipset.  With that being said, I was
> getting the exact same behaviour with my previous setup in regards to
> the analog and DVB presentation.
>
> If this same thing is happening on 2 different sets of hardware, and 2
> different distros, doesn't that point to some sort of kernel issue?  I
> seem to recall reading somewhere about the newer kernels having better
> DVB support.  How would I get this in MythBuntu (I've always been a
> RedHat/Fedora guy so Ubuntu is pretty new to me).
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

Harry,

  I do not own the same card as you do, but I know how to get newer DVB
drivers than what ships with Ubuntu 8.04.
  To get updated DVB drivers on 8.04 you may want to try Martin Pitts
PPA.
http://martinpitt.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/packaged-dvb-t-drivers-for-ubuntu-804/
I am running them on my main BE to support a Pinnacle 800i PCI card.
After installing the package it will build the drivers for the currently
running kernel. That can take a while depending on your hardware. (My BE
AMD x2 5000 took about 30 mins)

Thanks,
James