[mythtv-users] Pseudo-random frontend crash when watching recordings

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 03:31:59 UTC 2008

I didn't find anything in trac that really looked like the same problem I'm
having. Some recordings will crash the frontend suddenly and there will not
be any errors in the log file. Sometimes it's reproducible and sometimes
it's not, meaning, some recordings will cause the frontend to crash in the
same place over and over and some will crash it once but not the next time.

Anyone else have this problem?

My current workaround, if you can call it that, is to run gdm-restart from a
terminal. I have it programmed to my remote but have yet to get it to work.
I've actually got the command in a bash script, mythrestart.sh which I call
using irexec. My problem is that even though my myth startup script run
irexec, it does not work, but if I open a terminal (tested over ssh right
now) and run irexec &, it works. I have verified that my startup script
sucessfuly loads irexec using ps | grep irexec. I did not kill the first one
before starting the second irexec from a termnal so I actually have it
running twice...

The only difference I can think of is that the second one is run from a
terminal and the first one is part of a startup script, but should it
matter? I'll post my startup script at the bottom but I can't see anything
wrong with it.

System specs:
OS: F8 x86_64
Myth: Latest 0.21-fixes available from atrpms
Tuner: HDHomerun capturing OTA ATSC.

Thanks,
Richard

mythstart.sh
---
#!/bin/bash

# Only do this stuff if we're on the main display
# (i.e., don't do this in a vnc session)
if [ `echo $DISPLAY | grep -c ":0"` -ge 1 ]
then
    # Load nVidia driver custom settings
    #nvidia-settings --load-config-only &
    # Restore audio settings
    /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
    # Launch irexec for myth power button stop/start
    irexec &
    # Launch myth frontend
    mythfrontend -v playback -l mythfrontend.log &
    #mythwelcome &
    # Disable dynamic power management (screen blanking)
    /usr/bin/xset -dpms
    # Disable screen saver
    /usr/bin/xset s off
fi