[mythtv-users] Various MythTV-related adventures

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Oct 13 13:24:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 18:03 -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> sata_mv is definitely a module; as mentioned, I was able to rmmod it
> after stopping the RAID array. Does initrd contain discrete modules
> that can be unloaded? I'd though it was just the monolithic-kernel
> portion.

initrd is an small ext2 filesystem that is compressed. It contains a
limited filesystem root environment so a generic kernel can load modules
needed to access the real root fs. You can gunzip it and then mount the
resulting file through the loopback file system. I don't know much about
the Fedora series, but there should be a config file under /etc
(maybe /etc/initrd*) that determines what modules get built into the
initrd image. There is also a command named mkinitrd that will rebuild
the initrd. For testing I would recommend you make a new initrd with a
different name and pass it to the kernel on boot. If things break you
can always boot with the working version.

Cheers,
James