[mythtv-users] Various MythTV-related adventures

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Oct 13 01:03:41 UTC 2008

Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> says:
> Maybe.  At the very least the drive exported as a JBOD is going to
> be slightly smaller as Highpoint will put some stuff on the drive
> labeling/partitioning it for the raid controller

I hadn't considered that, but your reply makes me very glad I didn't
try! The funny thing is that I would have had it not been for the
networking issues I mentioned, so unless the BIOS setup mentioned that
even JBOD single disks would be erased (which it probably does, to
HighPoint's credit) I would've gotten my largest MythTV-recording
array into big trouble.

> The Highpoint raid for that card is software raid

This, I didn't know; I know 3Ware and Areca make real hardware-RAID
cards but thought HighPoint's higher-end gear was also not
fakeraid. In any case, as you saw, I have never been interested in the
2240's built-in RAID functionality, whatever its provence.

> > * Why couldn't I prevent sata_mv from loading no matter what I
> >   tried?
>
> It was likely in the initrd so would load long before you had any
> chance to stop things.

sata_mv is definitely a module; as mentioned, I was able to rmmod it
after stopping the RAID array. Does initrd contain discrete modules
that can be unloaded? I'd though it was just the monolithic-kernel
portion.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array