[mythtv-users] Watch list problem

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:47:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu> wrote:

> And that is fine as long as you think all your recordings is equally
>> important. But to me, if i have 2-3 episodes of a show that i like a little
>> bit more than the other and i finally have some time to watch TV, i really
>> liked the feature to only use the Watch List and have the next episode show
>> up after i watched one until i didn't have any new episodes left of that
>> show. And now i have that behaviour and the Watch List is useful for me
>> again.
>>
>> /Stefan
>>

> I totally agree. Filtering previously watched episodes makes since because
> that is what the watch list is for. Filtering out all but the next episode
> in a series makes perfect sense for most users, because most people will
> want to watch a series in order and thus only need one episode in that
> series shown. However, waiting a day before adding another episode when one
> is watched/deleted is an arbitrary limitation. It makes the watch list
> unusable for many, and having it enabled only reduces the length of list by
> one. Seems like an unwise trade off for the average user.

Perhaps.  It achieves a goal of "spreading the load" by giving you what to
watch so you catch up on everything.  If you want to catch up on one show,
use the title view list for that.  The 24 period also achieves a goal of
mirroring many viewing habits of sitting down once per day to watch TV, thus
the next day, you get a refreshed list of all your shows that need some
catching up on.   You can't make everyone happy with a feature like this so
that was the goal attributed to this feature.  The only thing I'd really
like to see is an indicator in the Watch List of how many back episodes
there are for any title so that I can see quickly "Oh, I have 3 episodes of
Fringe to watch" and then I can switch to the title view to watch them in
order.

Kevin