[mythtv-users] What kind of Myth setups do you all have?

Thomas Fjellstrom tfjellstrom at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 7 04:03:56 UTC 2008

On Monday 06 October 2008, Bobby Gill wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, what kind of setups do our list regulars (or
> anyone!) have? ie., How many backends, frontends, which tuner card(s),
> remote(s), and how is the whole shebang connected and placed throughout the
> house/wherever? What kind of TV (HD, analog, etc.)? Do you use Myth for
> videos/pics/etc.? I'm trying to get ideas for myself as we move into a new
> house in a few months, I'd really appreciate feedback.
>
> Myself, currently Myth server box in basement and desktop PC in room on
> upper level as frontend, cable TV, pvr150 w/usb IR remote-- pretty simple
> ;)
>
> Bob

I've got a sortof mixed up setup due to hardware failures.. Up till a little
while ago, my combined myth fe+be box was running vmware and 3 vms on a single
core Athlon XP. :(

What I've got for now is two backends, the master is on my desktop (Q6600, w2G
ram) box with a wintv 401 card, and the frontend is also a slave backend
running a PVR 250. I have two storage groups setup, one on my server with 596G
worth of raid5 storage (soon to be 1.7TB), and a smaller raid0 on the frontend
box for livetv and some recordings.

Soon I'll be attempting to move the backend into a VM on my new quadcore
server (with the 1.7TB of space), but when depends on when KVM gets proper
support for pci pass through with dma support.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom at shaw.ca