[mythtv-users] Xbox front-end advice please

Jonathan Larson jtlarson at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 6 20:21:36 UTC 2008

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Ben Edwards
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 3:55 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [mythtv-users] Xbox front-end advice please

Just about to start getting the bits I need to build a Xbox frontend.  Have found a couple of HOWTOs but any advise would be appreciated.  I use Ubuntu on my server so I would like to use a Ubuntu bast distro for the frontend or failing that a Debian one.  Key thing is that I need like to keep the version numbers in sync and would rather not  compile from source.  I have a few questions:-

Which HOWTO do people recommend?

Do I need a modded Xbox, if so what should I be looking/asking for?

Is any pre 360 Xbox OK or do I need to look for certain versions?

Do I need to use a keyboard adapter or can I do a net install with a USB Wireless adapter, if so what ones should wold?

Ben-If you don't have an XBOX now, I wouldn't advise starting down that road at this point. It was great in it's time, but consider these points:

The XBOX is no longer made, the DVD drives are often unable to read DVD-/+R or CD-R/RW, the fan can be loud, the RAM is limited, and the CPU can't handle HD content. I've gotten a lot of usage out of mine using XBMC for SD content over the network, but Xebian+MythTV was just too slow for my taste. Add to that the fact that XBMC can now run on OSX, Linux and Windows (albeit in beta--http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc) and there just isn't much room for the Xbox in the future IMHO...

If you still want to go ahead, you need to mod the XBOX using a softmod exploit or modchip. You also should get a DVD dongle, which acts as an IR receiver. Then you just load up XBMC, program your universal remote for a basic RCA DVD player (or use the Xbox remote) and enjoy. Forget the wireless ethernet-you really need wired Ethernet to make it work reliably. You also don't need a keyboard unless you use Xebian, but then I just used SSH from a box with a keyboard, so I've never used a keyboard or mouse with my Xbox.

Jon