[mythtv-users] The best, coolest cases ... please weigh in ...

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 19:56:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Peter Pavlovich <pavlovich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm looking at starting to build my own MythTV box. I'd like to ask for
>> suggestions / sources / experiences of and from others on this list
>> regarding the best, coolest and most functional/flexible cases to use for
>> this project. I would like a case which looks like a high-end audio/visual
>> component if possible.
>>
>> Also, what is the best set of hardware components that people have had good
>> success with (mainboard, CPU, video display card).
>>
>> Thanks to everyone in advance for your input and advice!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter
>>
> I am sure there are as many opinions as users but I will add my 2
> cents on just a couple of areas.
> 1) Get a 1T hard drive.
> 2) I use a AMD-5400+ and it is enough power.  To do it over again, I
> would use an Intel as I had several issues that came from inferior AMD
> chip support, according to ASUS.
> 3) Use an ASUS MB.  Lots of great systems with other boards, but ASUS
> is the leader and supplies MBs to most of the big computer mfgs.
> 4) Use Nvidia fanless board.  6200 works fine.Onboard Nvidia chip sets
> may be OK as well but don't rule out a video card
> 5) Get a HDHR.  It will give you an IR Rx as well for your remote.
> You can then use any old remote you have as a model and program it.
> Then use a learning remote for your system, like the MX-500.
> 6) Get one of the fancy cases being discussed right now in another thread.
>
> Lots of ways to do this and I will not defend my comments.  Other
> people have equally valid thoughts that are probably even better than
> mine. Just wanted to share my thoughts.
>
> Allen

Since you're looking for opinions...

Get the biggest, ugliest, case you can and then stick it in a closet
or other room etc. Seriously, the best case is one you can't see/hear
if you can manage running the wires to a location that isn't in your
living/viewing room. Worked out well for my setup but I guess it
doesn't meet the 'looks like a high end component" criterion of the OP
but it certainly offers a lot of flexibility in terms of size and
cooling.

A dedicated frontend wasn't an option for me so perhaps I'm just jealous ;)

--
~pAul.