[mythtv-users] frontend has gone dark

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Mon Nov 24 18:14:48 UTC 2008

Sorry to bother you, people, but I've broekn my frontend and don;t
really know how to fix it.

The short version: The frontend is almost entirely dark blue on dark
blue. I can just see the bevels on dialogs and the square where the TV
picture should be. No text, no graphics, but audio works in TV
playback (no pics). The interface appears to be operating normally
except for one extra dialog saying who-knows-what after the 'scaling
images' thing.

I tried to run mythtv-setup to sort it out but that has exactly the
same problem so is no help. you can see the backgrounds of places to
fill in and button backgrounds but nothing else.

So it's currently useless. I am guessing maybe I have lost all my
theme information or something like that. Any suggestions on what to
do to fix it?

Longer version:

I an using debian lenny with mythtv packages from debian-multimedia
repository. It all works pretty well apart from some stuttering on
video from time to time which seems to be due to high load. It's a
combined FE/BE via nenmiah ITX box so is fairly minmally powered.
There was no stuttering on v0.20.

Anyway, I thought I'd rebuild the packages with appropriate CPU
optimisation to see if things worked any better. I apt-got sources
(0.21-cvs20080706 IIRC)., changes the cpue and tune options in the
rules configure script (to i686) and rebuilt everything. Took a few
hours, but was finished this morning with no problems.

I also updated the machine from lenny-a-couple-of-weeks-back to
lenny-current.

This morning I installed new myth-frontend package and ran frontend -
blank frontend. So I reverted to original mythtv-frontend package that
I had carefully saved from apt cache just in case. Same thing . Damn.

Desktop works OK.

So I'm not sure if a lenny upgrade has done something horrible to
mythtv-frontend graphics or if installing my rebuilt version has
broken something such that reverting does not fix it.

I tried running mythtv-setup remotely but no picture at all appeared
there, neither did it quit or whinge particularly.

I also tried re-installing mythtv-common and removing and
reinstallting mythtv-frontend and all associated packages. Neither of
those helped at all.

The missus would like the telly back. Sadly I haven't got remote
frontends working yet (some permissions issue with mysql), so I really
need to get to the bottom of this. Clues most welcome.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/