[mythtv-users] I want mythfrontend number keys to just be number keys not cellphone texting keys

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Thu Nov 20 15:15:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com> wrote:
> Allan Stirling wrote:
>>

>> 2008/11/20 cal <cal at graggrag.com <mailto:cal at graggrag.com>>
>>
>>     ryan patterson wrote:
>>      > When I am typing in a dialog box in mythfrontend (for instance the
>>      > title field in the rip DVD myth transcode daemon dialog),
>>     pressing the
>>      > number keys on my keyboard brings up a small menu of letters and
>>     [ ... ]
>>      >
>>      > I tried and failed to find an option to disable this in the
>>      > mythfrontend setup menus.  How can I turn off this "feature"?
>>
>>     On frontend, go Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Appearance. On about the
>>     5th screen there's "Use line edit virtual keyboards". Try toggling it.
>>
>>     cheers, Cal
>>
>> Which to me indicates exactly why these things should _not_ be options.
>>
>> 5 pages+ of misc settings is not good for the UI. Especially if 90% of
>> those settings are just to please <5% of the user base.
>
> Myth could remove the settings from the GUI and force users to use a
> registry editor (gconf) to access useful settings like GNOME does.
> Alternatively, Myth could remove the settings from the GUI and force
> users to use cryptic remote control key sequences to access useful
> settings like TiVo does.
>
> With complex, multi-function, multi-hardware-configuration systems come
> settings that users need to access. The only difference between the
> different UIs is whether or not the UI developers force the users to
> learn two different ways to access the settings in a misguided belief
> that they are making the UI simpler.

Seems to me that the user should be able to change high impact
user-preference type settings like this right where you'd want to
change it... on this very screen.  Kinda like how cell phones let you
change between multi-tap and predictive text WHILE you are typing an
SMS.  Imagine if a cell phone made you go up and over four or five
menus just to change that setting!

   Marc