[mythtv-users] I want mythfrontend number keys to just be number keys not cellphone texting keys

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Thu Nov 20 14:45:24 UTC 2008

Allan Stirling wrote:

> 2008/11/20 cal <cal at graggrag.com <mailto:cal at graggrag.com>>
>
>     ryan patterson wrote:
>      > When I am typing in a dialog box in mythfrontend (for instance the
>      > title field in the rip DVD myth transcode daemon dialog),
>     pressing the
>      > number keys on my keyboard brings up a small menu of letters and
>     [ ... ]
>      >
>      > I tried and failed to find an option to disable this in the
>      > mythfrontend setup menus.  How can I turn off this "feature"?
>
>     On frontend, go Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Appearance. On about the
>     5th screen there's "Use line edit virtual keyboards". Try toggling it.
>
>     cheers, Cal
>
> Which to me indicates exactly why these things should _not_ be options.
>
> 5 pages+ of misc settings is not good for the UI. Especially if 90% of
> those settings are just to please <5% of the user base.

Myth could remove the settings from the GUI and force users to use a
registry editor (gconf) to access useful settings like GNOME does.
Alternatively, Myth could remove the settings from the GUI and force
users to use cryptic remote control key sequences to access useful
settings like TiVo does.

With complex, multi-function, multi-hardware-configuration systems come
settings that users need to access. The only difference between the
different UIs is whether or not the UI developers force the users to
learn two different ways to access the settings in a misguided belief
that they are making the UI simpler.