[mythtv-users] USA recommendations for Digital Over the AirCapture Card

VCRAddict MythTV_01 at appropriate-tech.net
Wed Nov 19 20:36:58 UTC 2008

At 01:56 PM 11/19/08 -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:

 > On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:50 AM, Eric Mesa <ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com>
 > wrote:
 > > I decided to go with the HD Homerun.  Ordered it last night from
 > > newegg along with the Terk antenna -
    [snip]

 > You can possibly avoid antenna woes if your willing to pay comcast for
 > their basic service (I believe it is ~$10/mo)

How do you figure?  The HDHomeRun is *purely* a DTV tuner.  While it will
handle both ATSC (OTA broadcast) and "Clear-QAM" (unencrypted "digital"
cable) modulations, neither of those signals are likely to be found on a
$10/mo "basic antenna service" cable drop.

 > They have all
 > the OTA channels on their cable line unencrypted and tuneable with any
 > ATSC tuner card.
    [snip]

No.  ATSC does not work on cable, period.

By law the cable company may not encrypt the local broadcast stations that
they retransmit; but it's still only plain-vanilla analog NTSC if you have
"basic" service.  *IF* you subscribe to their "digital" service, you should
be able to get the local broadcast stations in QAM; but that is (typically
at least) MUCH more pricey than "basic cable".

 > I current have Comcast and use three ATSC cards (Two
 > A180's and a HD3000) to record these channels.

Those are actually ATSC/QAM cards.

    <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerTV_HD_A180>
    <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PcHDTV_HD-3000>

and I'm betting you're paying Comcast *way* more than $10/mo.