[mythtv-users] USA recommendations for Digital Over the Air Capture Card

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 20:19:14 UTC 2008

> $10 for basic but ~$50 for extended basic (or whatever they call it.).
>
> hmmm... I wonder if I could just reduce my payment to $10/mo for basic
> and still get the extended shows. Ok, this is just theoretical, I'm
> not here to rip them off. But, I would think that since I don't have
> an STB, they are not going to go to the trouble of singling out my one
> physical cable and encrypting the other channels so I get exactly the
> basic service..

I should mention that if you are getting your internet from Comcast,
then bundling the basic TV with their internet service is cheaper than
getting internet alone (in most markets). In my market the basic
package is like $13 and you get a $15 discount off of your internet. I
have thought about getting an ATSC tuner card and seeing what I can
get off of the basic cable. But I assumed that it would be compressed
like they do with all of their HD stuff. Are the OTA channels
compressed over cable or do they send the same bitrate you would get
with an antenna?