[mythtv-users] New web page for MythTV users mythtvrigs.com.

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 19:19:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM, VCRAddict
<MythTV_01 at appropriate-tech.net>wrote:

> At 10:39 AM 11/19/08 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>  >
>  > On Wednesday 19 November 2008 10:28:38 Dan Drummond wrote:
>  > > I have just started up a new webpage for MythTV users at
> mythtvrigs.com. I
>  > > think a database of working hardware will help all users with hardware
>  > > choices. Please help and add your system hardware details to the
> database.
>  > > I also have a forum if users want to talk about their rigs.
>  >
>  > Nice move.
>
> You might want to re-think that.
>
> From <http://samspade.org/whois/mythtvrigs.com>:
>
>    mythtvrigs.com = [ 24.210.162.86 ]
>    (Asked whois.godaddy.com:43 about mythtvrigs.com)
>     Registrant:
>        Domains by Proxy  Inc.
>        Registered through: GoDaddy.com  Inc. http://www.godaddy.com
>        Domain Name: MYTHTVRIGS.COM
>        Domain servers in listed order:
>           NS1.MYDYNDNS.ORG
>           NS2.MYDYNDNS.ORG
>
> From <http://samspade.org/whois/24.210.162.86>:
>
>    24.210.162.86 = [ cpe-24-210-162-86.woh.res.rr.com ]
>    (Asked whois.arin.net:43 about +24.210.162.86)
>     OrgName:    Road Runner HoldCo LLC
>     OrgID:      RRMA
>     Address:    13241 Woodland Park Road
>     City:       Herndon
>     StateProv:  VA
>     PostalCode: 20171
>     Country:    US
>     ReferralServer: rwhois: //ipmt.rr.com: 4321
>     NetRange:   24.208.0.0 - 24.211.255.255
>     CIDR:       24.208.0.0/14
>     NetName:    RR-CENTRAL-3BLK
>     NetHandle:   NET-24-208-0-0-1
>     Parent:     NET-24-0-0-0-0
>     NetType:    Direct Allocation
>     NameServer: DNS1.RR.COM
>     NameServer: DNS2.RR.COM
>     NameServer: DNS3.RR.COM
>     NameServer: DNS4.RR.COM
>     Comment:    ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
>     RegDate:    2001-06-29
>     Updated:    2003-02-04
>     RTechHandle: ZS30-ARIN
>     RTechName:   ServiceCo LLC
>     RTechPhone:  1-703-345-3416
>     RTechEmail:  abuse at rr.com
>

> From <http://help.twcable.com/html/twc_sub_agreement.html>"
>
>    (iii) If I receive HSD Service, I agree not to use the HSD Service
>    for operation as an Internet service provider, for the hosting of
>    websites (other than as expressly permitted as part of the HSD
>    Service) or for any enterprise purpose whether or not the enterprise
>    is directed toward making a profit. I agree that, among other things,
>    my use of any form of transmitter or wide area network that enables
>    persons or entities outside the location identified in the Work Order
>    to use my Services, whether or not a fee is sought, will constitute
>    an enterprise purpose. Furthermore, if I use a wireless network
>    within my residence, I will limit wireless access to the HSD Service
>    (by establishing and using a secure password or similar means) to
> [...]

There's no "fradulent" registration of domains.  Domains point to IPs,
whether those be dynamic, home, business, or whatever.  As for the TOS
violation, that all depends on the ISP and his terms of service with them.
My company has public IP addresses that resolve to Comcast because we
contract our backup Internet service through them.  We are in no way
violating any TOS by using them or registering DNS entries to point to
them.

You might want to step outside and take a deep breath before you accuse
people who are trying to add value to the community of illegal activities.

Kevin