[mythtv-users] Anymore news on VAAPI (Video Acceleration API)?

Friedrich Clausen fred at derf.nl
Wed Nov 19 11:06:11 UTC 2008

Hello,

In light of the recent NVIDIA announcement [1] that they are providing
hardware assisted playback of video, I was wondering how the
freedesktop.org Video Accelleration API effort was going [2]? VAAPI is
another API for doing what NVIDIA's VDPAU does but created by Intel. I
have googled around but it seems they only practical Video
Accelleration ready for actual use would be NVIDIA's VDPAU and XvMC
for mpeg2. Does anyone have more info?

I am asking this because, while I certainly appreciate NVIDIA's
efforts in making available VDPAU for Linux, I would like to build a
small, low-power (based on the Atom CPU for instance) MythTV system
using completely free (as in freedom) software and the only barrier at
the moment is in hardware assisted video playback.

Cheers,

Fred.

[1] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/357332
[2] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi