[mythtv-users] FYI - New HW video accellAPI from NVIDIA

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Fri Nov 14 22:35:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 16:25 -0600, Mitch Gore wrote:

>         When I though that Intel would be forst with H.264 decoding on
>         its 965
>         chipset, NVIDIA beats them and does more.
>

>         Nico

> So, am i reading this right?  nVidia should have h.264 hardware
> acceleration!?

yes, h.264, VC-1, MPEG2, and MPEG-1

Add deinterlacing, noise reduction,

>   That mean the proc required for the HD-PVR will go substantial down
> right and play ripped blu-rays?

Yeah!

> Also, I wonder if this has all the negatives of XvMC.  Will we get
> full color OSD?

There is an API for compositing sub-picture, on-screen display, and
other UI elements.

That should help.

>   Will there be buffering/choppy video issues?

hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I guess not. After all, that's
the goal of HW acceleration.

>   I assume the internal player will require patches.

The internal player uses ffmpeg libraries.

NVIDIA has already patched ffmpeg (as well as mplayer) and associated
libs to work with its API.

If MythTV picks up the right code, as it wants to ship all that by
itself (I always wondred why), all should come to MythTV in good time
without much effort (I've been known to be wrong and I am no MythTV
dev).

>   yet another reason i may be moving to trunk when that is released.....

That should certainly help the undecided.

Nico