[mythtv-users] Need to manage my HDD usage, any way to tell where a recording resides?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Nov 14 00:58:04 UTC 2008

On Nov 13, 2008, at 4:25 PM, stuart wrote:

> Thank you for your response to my posting.  But will this work for me?
> I have everything on my MBE in 1 Logical Volume (my bad).  I'm
> thinking
> that all links will be to the same directory no matter which hard
> drive
> they actually are on.
>
> Regardless, what I really need is a way to tell if the recording is on
> the SBE or the MBE machine. As I only want to reduce disk usage on the
> MBE machine. I'm thinking that the mythrename.pl script will not be
> able
> to create links to a file on a different machine.
>
> In the end, I have yet to hear of a easy way to manage mythtv disk
> usage
> (i.e. there is not an easy way to tell where a given recording
> resides).

I'm not sure why you need to know where a given recording resides in
order to manage disk usage. Are you aware that if you move a recording
from one directory of a storage group to another directory in the
storage group, you don't have to do anything special for mythtv to
find that recording? It will look through all specified directories
until it finds the recording. If it doesn't find them in any
directory, then it will present an error.

Maybe if we knew *exactly* what you were trying to accomplish instead
of this one piece of finding where a recording resides, we could help
you more.