[mythtv-users] Need to manage my HDD usage, any way to tell where a recording resides?

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Fri Nov 14 00:25:32 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/13/2008 10:47 AM, stuart wrote:
>> I need to manage my HDD usage.  I have a MBE and SBE and need to reduce
>> disk usage on the MBE by about 170GBytes in order to start removing a
>> Physical Volume out of my 1 Logical Volume (BTW, don't do like I did and
>> collapse all your mythtv files into 1 Logical Volume).
>>
>> Is there a way (i.e. while looking at recording in mythweb for instance)
>> to tell where (the MBE or the SBE) a recording resides?
>
> IMHO, the best approach is to use mythrename.pl --link to create a
> directory full of links, then grep an ls.
>
> ls -l /path/to/symlinks/dir | grep
> '/path/to/directory/on/hard/drive/to/empty'
>
> Mike

Thank you for your response to my posting.  But will this work for me?
I have everything on my MBE in 1 Logical Volume (my bad).  I'm thinking
that all links will be to the same directory no matter which hard drive
they actually are on.

Regardless, what I really need is a way to tell if the recording is on
the SBE or the MBE machine. As I only want to reduce disk usage on the
MBE machine. I'm thinking that the mythrename.pl script will not be able
to create links to a file on a different machine.

In the end, I have yet to hear of a easy way to manage mythtv disk usage
(i.e. there is not an easy way to tell where a given recording resides).

---

Hummm, well, now that I'm turning it over in my head again, it may be
possible to "clean up" the disk space on a particular machine.  I
believe you can adjust the storage "head room" on a machine by machine
bases. If I gave my self 200GBytes (roughly the space of the physical
volume on the drive I would like to remove from the logical volume on
the MBE machine), I could then start migrating file off the physical
volume (an over night process from what I understand).

...interesting.