[mythtv-users] liveTV sucking up CPU cycles?

Rick rbonafied at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 23:48:49 UTC 2008

Jason wrote:
>> I think the next place to look is the frontend log file to see if it's
>> doing anything different. Turn up your verbosity to all to see if you
>> can spot something extra that's happening between LiveTV and a
>> recording currently in progress.
>
> I had some time to try this out tonight.  I couldn't really see much
> difference in the log notices between the LiveTV output and the recording
> in-progress ouput during playback.  There were some minor query differences
> at the beginning, but during the bulk of the playback, there wasn't really
> any difference in the messages.  It was all sound buffer and A/V sync
> messages that appeared to be very similar in both instances.
>
> It seems like once they get playing, they're in much of the same state, but
> something else is going on.  It could be backend related, but that wouldn't
> explain the same behavior I see on a dedicated frontend.
>
> Jason

I too have experienced the exact same thing.  I've always meant to look
into it, but never pursued it because I don't watch much live tv.
That's changing...

One thing I've noticed is if I tell it to record the live tv program,
exit live tv, go to recording and watch it, it plays fine.  - I know
that's been stated... However, If I fast forward to the point where the
recording is a few seconds behind the live, the stuttering and skipping
happens again.  I just thought I'd mention it.

Rick