[mythtv-users] Channel guide is way too slow

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 11 16:51:53 UTC 2008

On 11/11/2008 10:41 AM, Jelle De Loecker wrote:

> Right now, I've disabled a bunch of channels:
> only 123 of the 2827 are active, and that makes the loading indeed
> faster.

Brad gave you the correct fix a /long/ time ago.

> From 50s loading time to 5s, which is reasonable, I guess.
> (The proprietary set-top boxes used by Telenet here take just as long
> for not even half that number)
>
> But regular browsing in the guide STILL isn't what it should be.
> Going up and down, sometimes it just freezes for a second.
>
> I have *disabled* the channel icons on my frontend and I have removed
> the channel icons locations in the channels table.
>
> However, even after disabling it, MythTV still wants to check for them:
>
> 2008-11-11 16:37:16.785 MSqlQuery::exec() "SELECT icon FROM channel
> WHERE chanid = '13771' ;"
>
> Why would it do that? Could this be the source for the
> one-second-freeze?

Yes, as previously asserted.

>  Maybe I should add a bug report for this?

No.  You're using the unstable branch of Myth and using a part of Myth
that won't exist once Myth is converted to mythui.  After the
conversion, if you still think there's a bug, then feel free to report it.

You should fix your database.  If you specify an icon, it /must/ be
there.  If you don't specify icons (i.e. your icons are set to ''), they
won't be displayed.

UPDATE channel SET icon = '';

Telling Myth there's an icon and having no file there is never correct.

Mike