[mythtv-users] Comcast rendering my HDHR useless

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Tue Nov 11 00:38:31 UTC 2008

> Nahh, I understand your point but you're unfortunately incorrect on
> this one.....the electric company doesn't care at all how long I take
> to burn 3kWh. Whether I burn it in one day or ten they charge me the
> same amount. That's how they charge. They bill me at the end of the
> month, so *they* put a time frame on it for the sake of billing
> purposes but they don't care a bit how fast I burn the actual power.

However, the discussion was about whether one machine is more efficient than
another, not about how the power company measures your bill. If someone says
that their frontend uses 10 kWh, it makes all the difference in the world if
it used 10 kWh in 1 hour, 1 day, or 1 month. Whether you are comparing the
efficiency of two machines or figuring out how much it is going to cost on
your monthly bill you need to know the total energy and the amount of time
it took to use that energy, or you need to know the power use (ie
energy/time) and the amount of time it will run.