[mythtv-users] Comcast rendering my HDHR useless

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 00:01:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Krzysztof Adamski <k at adamski.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-11 at 15:01 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

>> > For claiming the cost of operation of some device, energy usage is
>> > meaningless.  You must give it in terms of power (energy use per second,
>> > energy user per month, energy use per billing period). You must specify
>> > a time frame.
>>
>> No, Wookey's correct. kWh is the way the power company sells power and
>> it is a reasonable way to determine usage costs at home. The problem
>> with defining power/time period is that devices don't use constant
>> amounts at all times and many devices are turned off. Understanding
>> kWh values is a good way to get around that and equates nicely with
>> thevalues given on my power bill.
>>
>> I use a Kill-a-watt measure to get my values. 3kWh/day for my refrigerator, etc.
>
> You just showed that what Wookey was saying was meaningless. To use your
> example saying "the refrigerator uses 3kWh" is the problem, when you add
> the "/day" makes it useful. Wookey missed the time frame for the energy
> used.

Nahh, I understand your point but you're unfortunately incorrect on
this one.....the electric company doesn't care at all how long I take
to burn 3kWh. Whether I burn it in one day or ten they charge me the
same amount. That's how they charge. They bill me at the end of the
month, so *they* put a time frame on it for the sake of billing
purposes but they don't care a bit how fast I burn the actual power.