[mythtv-users] mythwelcome setup questions

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Nov 10 11:18:52 UTC 2008

victor rajewski wrote:
> I'm trying to get mythwelcome running alongside ACPI to wake up and
> shut down my FE/BE. I've configured and tested the backend to use
> ACPI, and everything works fine. I'm confused as to why I have to
> enter seemingly the same info into the mythwelcome setup as I do to
> the backend setup. What is the relationship between the two, and the
> various pre-shutdown and shutdown programs they run? Does mythwelcome
> or the backend handle the shutdown and setting the wakeup time?
>
> vik

The Master BE always controls the shutdown process. MythWelcome just
displays the information received from the BE and also runs mythshutdown
to get various status information.

The settings in mythtv-setup are what the BE uses to check if it is OK
to shutdown (mythshutdown --check) to set the time of the next recording
(mythhutdown --setwakeup) and to shut itself down (mythshutdown --shutdown).

The settings on the MythWelcome screen are what mythshutdown uses to set
the wakeup time in the BIOS or tell ACPI what the next wakeup time
should be (/usr/bin/nvram-wakeup or your ACPI script), to tell grub or
lilo that on the next boot it should just shutdown immediately
(/sbin/grub-set-default 1) some BIOS's need a reboot before the time set
by nvram-wakeup will stick you probably should leave this blank for
ACPI, command to reboot (/sbin/reboot) -  only  used if the previous
setting is not blank,  command to shutdown (/sbin/poweroff) this is used
to do the actual shutdown when mythshutdown --shutdown is called.

The shutdown sequence goes something like this (from memory so I may
have forgot something) :-

1. the BE checks if it has no blocking connections (no FE's are connected).

2. the BE calls mythshutdown --check to see if it is OK to preceed
(mythshutdown --check will stop shutdown if mythfilldatabase is running
for example).

3. the BE calls mythshutdown --setwakeup with the time of the next
recording if any (this just saves the time in the DB).

4. the BE calls mythshutdown --shutdown.

5.  mythshutdown --shutdown works out when the next wakeup should be
(for the next recording or next wakeup period if any are set)

6. calls the command to set the next wakeup time in the BIOS or via ACPI.

7. if set calls the command to tell the boot loader it should just shut
down on the next reboot  then calls the reboot command.

8. calls the command to shutdown.

Hope this helps a little :-)

Paul H.