[mythtv-users] Looking for MicroATX AM2 CPU supporting motherboard suggestions.

Jeff Holicky myth.myth_user at myth.sent.com
Thu Nov 6 21:28:11 UTC 2008

Just to add my two cents.  I ended up going to
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ and last night installed onto my 1GB USB
key Ubuntu 8.10.  Without changing any setting it booted up fine on two
machines (by merely adjusting the boot level CD/USB/HDD) and I was able
to get full sound (ogg music supported - oddly not mp3), internet
access, printing (laser support) and on one was able to access the NTFS
harddrives.

The goal for me - on a FE is to have a nice big 120mm fan to cool it
down, but otherwise to have no other moving parts. A CDROM spinning
tends to sound like an airplane and I would not want that to start up
just because I accessed some folder.  Network booting relies on the BE -
which means if it goes down I am toast.  If I can get the FE going then
I could still access a network drive or some other shared HDD.  So the
USB would be a great solution - and very low cost.  A HDD - if you are
lucky it barely makes a noise - but it adds to heat and power
consumption - plus a "when it crashes one day" headache.  Once I get the
USB just right, I can make a backup and archive on DVD.

Yes the logs are a concern - the constant re-writing and those areas
going bad.  I need to review that - I am not fully versed in how flash
memory handles bad sectors - do they merely mark as bad and move on
without the user knowing?  If the answer to this is YES (they mark and
move on), then one could buy a big 8GB USB - it may be overkill, but
would outlast any bad sector problems.

I see the benefits of a USB boot up system far outweigh CDROMS, HDD and
NICs.  Affordable and one could always have spares.

This example above was a HUGE eye opener for me.  If one day XP won't
boot, yes I will need to scramble, but at least I could throw this at
the machine, boot into LINUX and still browse the net - for finances and
email.  A very cheap insurance policy.  Further such a USB key allows
you to work offsite in various offices - and you can take everything
with you to boot up, not just the working documents/data.

jahsr