[mythtv-users] Front end CPU recommendations?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 17:29:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Joe <jfwd at phlobus.net> wrote:
> I've been happily using Mythtv for a couple years, and a few months ago I
> upgraded my tuner cards from analog to digital/ATSC in preparation for the
> DTV switchover in the US.  All is working fine in that regard, but I did
> discover that my front end systems don't quite have the power to do the
> playback on all channels (some broadcasts seem to be more cpu-intensive than
> others).  "top" reports that CPU usage is pegged at 100% during playback.
>
> So I'm in the market for an upgrade, and I was curious if anyone had some
> recommendations on what features I should look for.  More specifically:
>
> - does the decoding benefit from dual cores or would I be better off with a
> single core at a higher clock rate?
> - any benefit from a larger cache (is it worthwhile to go for 1MB of L2)?

I don't believe there is any benefit to getting a single core cpu that
was made 2 or more years ago (Is there anyone is making single core
cpus?) versus a current generation dual core.

Here is a good choice for a low power dual core that is inexpensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103234

John