[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA EX for mythtv front+backend (newbie)

James Stembridge jstembridge at gmail.com
Fri May 30 12:56:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Wouter van Atteveldt <wouter at 2at.nl> wrote:
> I was hoping to replace the fan with a passive heat think, do you think that would suffice to cool a M processor? Otherwise, I guess there are plenty of more silent fans that can be bought...?

I suppose with a large enough heatsink and good airflow passive
cooling would work, but I don't have any experience of this myself.
One thing to consider is that the footprint for the heatsink is quite
small (about 40mm square) so you won't be able to fit anything
particular huge.

> Hmm, I think my TV is W-XGA (1.366 x 768). What exactly does an xv image mean? Will the normal linux display be at max resolution but the video playback not? If not, will it be displayed full screen? Will I actually notice this given the fact that I am using analog signals at the moment?

The restriction applies to the resolution of video itself rather than
the resolution of the display. The onboard graphics can certainly
scale SD resolution (say 720x576) to fill a 1366x768 display.

What they can't do is efficiently display or scale HD resolution (say
1280x720) video. If you're only dealing with analog signals and have
no immediate plans to start capturing HD then this won't be a problem
for you.

> Hmm I was planning to buy a case that can only handle a single extension card, so I would have to choose between video card and capture card.... I guess I could decide to separate FE and BE at some point and run a proper linux machine somewhere in a closet, but at first I want to stick to a single machine solution.

The board will take a dual riser so if you can find suitable case this
might be a good future-proofing choice.

James.