[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.04 Sound Blaster Live - No Sound

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 04:24:47 UTC 2008

Call me a MythBuntu noob, when you speak of the myth "Audio" setup screen
are you talking about "Setup" inside Myth itself? (Myth: Setup :General
Settings, about the 4th or 5th screen or so) or something else?

I haven't really tried any other settings no, I have Alsa:Default set for
most of it.

I do notice something strange in that screen.  In the "dropdown" boxes I
have several selections for say "PCM" (it's in all the dropdowns) some are
like "PCM_" some "PCM__" (Double Underscore).  I have NO idea why these
appear as I've never seen this _ phenomenon on FC6.

The disabling of the onboard sound isn't a bad idea actually, i'll give that
a shot and see what comes up.

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 9:34 PM, <jdonohue654-mythtv at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > So any other ideas on getting the SB card to work?
> > Why it would be putting
> > out nothing but untuned static?
> >
> > The internal sound on the motherboard is bad,
> > playing MP3s sound
> > like...well, lets not go there.
> >
> > I'm not even sure what tools I have available.  Do I
> > need an .asoundrc
> > file?  Is it the standard file that is posted on
> > most of the myth setup
> > stuff (from Jarod's guide) or is it something
> > different for Mythbuntu?
> >
> > Is there some kind of generic sound configuration
> > guide for Mythbuntu or
> > Mythtv in general?
> >

> I don't think you should need an .asoundrc file. I
> assume you've already tried all of the available
> output devices in the Myth "Audio" setup screen.
>
> To simplify your troubleshooting it might help to
> disable the built-in sound card in your bios. At least
> that will ensure that you won't have the wrong card
> selected somewhere.

Call me a MythBuntu noob, when you speak of the myth "Audio" setup screen
are you talking about "Setup" inside Myth itself? (Myth: Setup :General
Settings, about the 4th or 5th screen or so) or something in mythbuntu (Like
the "sound" icon in the settings area)?

I haven't really tried any other settings in Myth no, I have Alsa:Default
set for most of it.

I do notice something strange in that screen.  In the "dropdown" boxes I
have several selections for say "PCM" (it's in all the dropdowns not just
PCM) some are like "PCM_" some "PCM__" (Double Underscore).  I have NO idea
why these appear as I've never seen this _ phenomenon on FC6.

The disabling of the onboard sound isn't a bad idea actually, i'll give that
a shot and see what comes up.

--Doug