[mythtv-users] What to back up?

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Mon May 26 21:53:31 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I plan on doing a clean OS (Ubuntu) install, but would like to keep my
Myth recordings and setup. I'll be using the Mythbuntu setup package to
install MythTV.

What should I back up?

The first things that come to my mind are the mysql database (which is
already backed up weekly), xorg.conf and my lirc configuration.

I'm sure lots of you have done this before. Are there any other files I
should copy before regretting that I got rid of them?

I currently have /home on it's own partition, but I think I'll clean
slate that as well.
I also have recordings and all of my video files on their own partition
so they will stay as they are. I guess I'll just need to point Myth to
that folder somehow after re-instillation. Can't remember how to do
that, but it can't be too difficult.

Are poster (vid art) files stored somewhere else?

Let me know anything you can think of before I press the big red button.

Cheers
Damian