[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.04 Sound Blaster Live - No Sound

Carl-Magnus Björkell carl-magnus.bjorkell at pp.inet.fi
Mon May 26 17:58:50 UTC 2008

Douglas Wagner wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Mario Limonciello
> <mario.mailing at gmail.com <mailto:mario.mailing at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Douglas Wagner wrote:
>      > All:
>      >
>      > Ok, i'm in a REAL bind here.  I have a week to get this figured out
>      > before my WAF goes to the toilet.
>      >
>      > Long story short I just switched from a Fedora based MythTV setup
>     to an
>      > Ubuntu Setup (MythBuntu ROCKS).  I have NO experience with Unbuntu or
>      > Debian.
>      >
>      > Installation went well, everything is up and running.  Initially
>     I had
>      > no sound at all.  WIthout doing much of anything (actually
>     nothing other
>      > than maybe a reboot I remember) I had actually, at one point, gotten
>      > sound to work.  I came back the next morning and popped on the
>     PVR and
>      > all of a sudden i've got static...untuned radio like static
>     comming from
>      > my SB Live! board.
>      >
>      > To be honest I have NO idea where to go from here.  Sound was always
>      > something that "just worked" on the fedora box.  I am totally
>     lost even
>      > where to look for what's going on.  The static "changes" when I
>     move the
>      > menu or even telnet into the box so there's "something", and when
>     I plug
>      > into the onboard sound it stops (I get no sound from onboard and
>     haven't
>      > even tried to set it up, but I really don't want to have to use
>      > onboard)...the static also stops upon box reboot till mythbuntu is
>      > partly up where it comes back again.
>      >
>      > As I said, I have NO idea where to even start with figuring out why I
>      > have no sound or why i've got static.
>      >
>      > I'm plugged by RCA to the TV (Single pin in Green Out from Sound
>     Card to
>      > White/Red RCA on TV.)
>      >
>      > Any help on where to go or what to look at for why i'm getting static
>      > out of my sound card would be VERY appreciated.  Any tutorials on
>     how to
>      > setup sound for an emu10k1 on mythbuntu would be appreciated as
>     well as
>      > I have no idea even what the basic methods of doing such are.
>      >
>      > Oh, one last thing.  If I go to alasmixer to that card (alsamixer
>     -c 2)
>      > and mute either the master or the PCM sound the static goes off,
>     comes
>      > back when you unmute so in essence this is sound comming through the
>      > sound card.
>      >
> [...]

Is the card capable of outputting digital audio? Maybe a card that is
able to toggle the output port between digital and analog audio? Perhaps
it's sending in digital right now when it should output analog?

I haven't fiddled with sound much either, since this is a feature that
has usually "just worked" for me as well. But I did get static in my
earphones some while ago when I had accidentally unmuted the "digital"
channel (and hence effectively toggled the output to audio).

Might want to look into it :)

-Calle