[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.04 Sound Blaster Live - No Sound

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 16:42:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Mario Limonciello <mario.mailing at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Douglas Wagner wrote:
> > All:
> >
> > Ok, i'm in a REAL bind here.  I have a week to get this figured out
> > before my WAF goes to the toilet.
> >
> > Long story short I just switched from a Fedora based MythTV setup to an
> > Ubuntu Setup (MythBuntu ROCKS).  I have NO experience with Unbuntu or
> > Debian.
> >
> > Installation went well, everything is up and running.  Initially I had
> > no sound at all.  WIthout doing much of anything (actually nothing other
> > than maybe a reboot I remember) I had actually, at one point, gotten
> > sound to work.  I came back the next morning and popped on the PVR and
> > all of a sudden i've got static...untuned radio like static comming from
> > my SB Live! board.
> >
> > To be honest I have NO idea where to go from here.  Sound was always
> > something that "just worked" on the fedora box.  I am totally lost even
> > where to look for what's going on.  The static "changes" when I move the
> > menu or even telnet into the box so there's "something", and when I plug
> > into the onboard sound it stops (I get no sound from onboard and haven't
> > even tried to set it up, but I really don't want to have to use
> > onboard)...the static also stops upon box reboot till mythbuntu is
> > partly up where it comes back again.
> >
> > As I said, I have NO idea where to even start with figuring out why I
> > have no sound or why i've got static.
> >
> > I'm plugged by RCA to the TV (Single pin in Green Out from Sound Card to
> > White/Red RCA on TV.)
> >
> > Any help on where to go or what to look at for why i'm getting static
> > out of my sound card would be VERY appreciated.  Any tutorials on how to
> > setup sound for an emu10k1 on mythbuntu would be appreciated as well as
> > I have no idea even what the basic methods of doing such are.
> >
> > Oh, one last thing.  If I go to alasmixer to that card (alsamixer -c 2)
> > and mute either the master or the PCM sound the static goes off, comes
> > back when you unmute so in essence this is sound comming through the
> > sound card.
> >
> > HELP please. :)
> >
> > --Douglas Wagner

> So here's thie important thing:
>
> Are you using Mythbuntu added to Ubuntu, or straight Mythbuntu?  If you
> added to
> Ubuntu, you've got a pulseaudio daemon running.  You'll either have to kill
> it,
> or look at my other post a day or two ago about how to work nicely with it
> in place.
>
> --
> Mario Limonciello
> mario.mailing at gmail.com

Nope, no Ubuntu, installed Mythbuntu straight off of the CD, no Ubuntu
Pre-Installation.  I can look for a pulse audio server (ps aux | grep pulse
should do it right?) but I don't think one is running.  BTW I have no
preference on running with or without pulse so long as it works and works
consistantly.

--Doug